To establish Townsville as an institution renowned for her proficiency in the MOTHER-TONGUE Language.
Area of Focus
Students to develop:
- Good listening skills
- Good oral skills
- Good reading skills
- Good writing skills
With these skills, students are able to maintain a high standard in the daily usage of the Mother Tongue
2015 MT curriculum
• Development of the 4 basic language skills remain important. However, greater emphasis has been put on spoken and written interaction skills;
• Greater focus on authentic activities to better engage students and develop their communication skills;
• Continue to expose students to culture and values through MTL Learning.
• Story character set in real-life situation that students can relate to, so as to better engage students in their learning of MTL; and
• Greater use of ICT e.g. videos, animations, digital interactive games etc.
Mother Tongue Fortnight & Cultural Camp
The Mother Tongue Fortnight is held every year with the objectives of providing opportunities for students to learn and strengthen their mother tongue language and appreciate their culture through hands on tasks (e.g Malay students are exposed to wayang kulit (Shadow Play). For Tamil, students are engaged in activities to help them build on the spoken form of their language & Chinese students had experiences in paper cuttings, brush painting..etc)
The Cultural Camp is held annually to further enhance and enrich students’ learning in the language. (e.g For Chinese, the students learn about traditional food such as Tang Yuan ..etc)
• Language and Cultural Programmes
– Mother Tongue Fortnight
– Cultural Camp
– Reading Programme
• Learning Support Programmes
– Using ICT in teaching and learning
1. Reading Programme
Reading Programme is to cater for non-readers and normal readers. A Pintar Membaca Package was created with different modules to suit the different abilities pupils. Small booklets incorporating extensive reading activities were created to encourage reading among the normal readers.
PRATA is a read aloud think aloud programme that helps pupil to read and understand the text. Pupils will be able to monitor their understanding while reading and identify the factors that stopped them from understanding the text. This programme is carried out every morning before assembly and reinforce in class.
2. Using ICT in teaching and learning
Web 2.0 tools are used in teaching and learning. Flipquizzes are used to test idioms and padlets in composition writing. Pupils can access this through the Malay Language website. Besides Malay Language website, 10M and iMTL portal are used in teaching. The use of 10M portal helps pupils to monitor their learning and be independent. This portal is used for lower primary pupils . iMTL portal is used for upper primary pupils where they get to practice conversation skills based on a video.
Pupils can also monitor their own learning.
Seen Dictation is where pupils learn spelling through story-telling. Follow-up activities based on the story followed to strengthen the pupil’s spelling. Differentiated spelling exercised are designed to suit the pupils’ learning ability.
The TeamPrimary 1 & 2
Mdm Norlela (Coordinator)
Primary 3 & 6
Miss Nurbayah Ismail