Our school has adopted the STELLAR Programme for our English Language learning. STELLAR stands for
Strategies for English Language Learning and Reading.
It aims to develop the love for reading in children and also to help them to build a strong foundation in the English Language.
Each STELLAR unit includes the development of
The four language skills: Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing
Social Skills: oral interaction, turn taking
Independent learning: reading, writing, working at learning centres
STELLAR will help to encourage the learning of English Language through vocabulary learned in books and expression of thoughts in oral and written forms. It is further enriched through class discussions and informal peer interaction.
1. To create
awareness of the different sounds and sound patterns of the English language
and how they are necessary for proper speech.
2. To introduce participants to the basics of acting and stage productions, creating in the process an appreciation for the performance arts.
3. To bring participants to a level of linguistic competence that allows them to use
English intelligibly and fluently
4. To provide pupils
exposure to various text types
such as poems, fables, short stories, plays and choral pieces.
through literature and the collaborative nature of theatre.
Expected Programme Outcome
• Prepare each pupil to put up a short performance based on the selected STELLAR text at the end of the programme
How it supports the EL department:
• Children showcase their linguistic skills to an audience.
• It ties in with the primary school EL syllabus in Speaking and Representing, where speaking with accurate pronunciation and appropriate intonation is concerned.
Ms Rachel Gayathri (HOD/EL)
Ms Elsa Ang (LH/EL)
Miss Tseng Liao Alva (NPL)
Miss Koh Shiew Ling
Miss Siti Wazirah
Miss Melissa Ng
Mrs Grace Seah (CAJ)
Mrs Josephine Tan (AED)
Mrs Susan Bala
Miss Lin Huixian
Mrs Foong Ping Keow (CAJ)
Ms Ang Lye Eng (CAJ)
Mdm Siti Nur Haliza
Mdm Norlizan Bte Ahmat
Mdm Suzana Su'ah
Miss Ang Shi Yin Pearl
Mrs May Ng
Mrs Jeya Lawrence
Mr Bernard Ng
Mrs Premila Onyekachi